We love this Jamie Oliver spring-vibes recipe and wanted to share it with you – a twist on your average bruschetta!
- 1 large aubergine
- 4 courgettes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, zest and juice of
- 1 small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 fresh red chili
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 clove peeled and finely chopped, 1 clove halved
- 1 loaf ciabatta, sliced at an angle
- 1 small bunch fresh mint, leaves picked and chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Halve the aubergine and courgettes lengthways and score the flat side of each half.
- Place the pieces flat-side down on the barbecue and cook until golden brown.
- Wrap the aubergines and courgettes separately in double layers of foil.
- Add a good drizzle of olive oil, half the lemon juice, all of the zest, and a good sprinkling of parsley. The goal is to wrap them like Christmas crackers!
- Place them both on the cooler coals and, using long tongs, cover them completely with hot coals.
- Cook for 20 minutes until soft and slightly blackened. (Alternatively, brown the veg on a hot, dry griddle then cook the parcels in an oven preheated to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6, for 20 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, prick the chili all over with a knife so it doesn’t explode.
- Blacken it on all sides over the barbecue, (or directly over a gas hob), then wrap in clingfilm until cool.
- Peel, deseed and chop.
- Unwrap the foil parcels and place the veg on a board.
- Remove the stalk and skin from the aubergine, top and tail the courgettes, then chop the veg and add to a bowl.
- Dress with a lug of oil and the remaining lemon juice.
- Add the peeled and chopped garlic to the bowl, along with most of the chili and mint. Toss and season.
- Lightly toast the ciabatta slices, then rub them with the cut sides of the remaining garlic clove. Drizzle with oil.
- Spoon over some of your lovely, smoky veg and sprinkle with chili and mint.
Do you have a favourite spring time recipe? Tweet @SoolNua your suggestions.
Celebrity Chef at www.jamieoliver.com